Here is an update on what we have been doing the last few months and what we have planned for the future:
1. We are almost complete with a new billing system that will allow users to attach more than one website to their account. This is a big change and has taken a while to implement. It should be rolling out in the next week or so.
2. Anti-Spam improvements. In case you haven't noticed, blog and forum comments have changed so that any 'link' inserted into them changes to the text 'web link'. This is a deterrent tactic to keep ‘manual’ spammers from spamming your website with SEO links back to their website. It is similar to how Twitter changes links inserted into its comments. While Doodlekit has been successful at blocking automated spammers, manual spammers are harder to deter. These tactics encourage spammers to avoid spamming your website as they cannot incorporate their keywords into their spam links, thus wasting their time.
3. Advanced DNS Settings/Management. The #1 thing people kept asking us about was domain control. A few weeks ago, Ben released a new DNS tool to help people manage their domain and email settings.
4. Server hardware upgrade. A few weeks ago we had to upgrade our physical servers. This was so that we could implement more advanced Security setting on our servers.
5. Working on the ‘New Major Release’. The ‘New Major Release’ is primarily two things. First, it introduces the new wider layouts made for 1024px resolution. Second, it will introduce the new Admin/Editor tools that will allow much more flexibility in design and website management. Last week we finished off several projects that have held us back from working on this. We now plan to move forward focusing on this release. It might take a little longer than initially expected, but we now have the majority of our time committed to it. Expected release date is sometime this fall.
6. New Doodlekit Logo & Website Design. I created New Doodlekit Banners yesterday and pushed them out to our website. Take a look at them if you get the chance, they feature the new Doodlekit logo. Our new website design will be using our wider layouts and these new logos when it is released.
I hope this update helped to explain what we have been doing and where we plan to go with our free website maker. I can’t wait for the new major release to go live!